Choosing photoshoot location | Edinburgh and surroundings
How on earth do I choose a location?
There are sooooo many options to choose from, and the good news is, we can work together to figure out what the best location is for you and your family. I love adventuring with you outdoors; it’s super fun watching your kids discover new places, build sandcastles, collect bugs and jump in muddy puddles. I have so many outdoor locations to choose from, or if you have a special place in mind, I’d be up for that too!
One of the most important aspects of portrait photography is picking a suitable location.
Having to choose a location with a nice background for an outdoor portrait photoshoot is very important and it makes a big difference when it comes to portrait photography.
Choosing a perfect photoshoot location is very important and will definitely have an impact on your session
... although family portrait should be always about having a great time, enjoying the process, and letting the photographer do their magic of taking your pictures.
HERE ARE 3 THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE CHOOSING A LOCATION:
A family photoshoot is where you get to smile, laugh and be yourselves. If some of your family
members are shy then you might not want to choose a very public spot.
What makes your family unique? Choose a location that fits in with who you are as a family. Do you enjoy spending time on the beach or on a couch reading books? Your location should speak to your personalities.
Take each member of your family into consideration. What are their ages and needs? If you have two toddlers that might need to use a bathroom at any time, then a remote spot is
probably not the best idea.
It’s not about location, it’s about the look and feel.
What look and feel would you like your photos to have?”
- Ethereal: This can be an open field, nature park, or a bright location with little to no busyness in the background.
- Nature/natural: Here you can choose a park with lots of green grass and tall trees. Giving you a more natural feel to the photos.
- High fashion/urban: This is definitely in a busy neighbourhood or city centre area with lots of big buildings, reflective windows, and metal accents. Giving lots of contrast to the photos and the look and feel of a busy city.
- Vintage: This can mean either old architectural buildings with wooden doors and big arches.
- Warm/homey: Homey can mean feeling comfortable and relaxed, your local park, garden or your own home.
- Beach: This one is pretty easy, there so many amazing beaches around. The time of day will give you the look and feel. The morning will give you a more blue and pink hue with a harsh shadow whereas during sunset you’ll get the beautiful golden hour lighting. Choosing the right time of day has a huge impact on the look and style of your photos
- Location that is meaningful to you: you'll get much more personal, meaningful photos. As an added bonus, you're likely to feel more relaxed, helping me capture more natural-looking shots.
More than one location?
Picking one location is certainly very difficult, why not choose two* locations. You can do this by booking ALBUM STORY, STORY COLLECTION.
*Both locations must not be further than 15 minutes by car from each other.
These are just examples, the possibilities are endless.
LIFESTYLE FAMILY, MATERNITY & NEWBORN SESSION IN COMFORT OF YOUR HOME OR ON THE LOCATION
GET IN TOUCH AND BOOK YOUR CONSULTATION CALL SO WE CAN START PLANNING YOUR PHOTOSHOOT
Not quite ready to book ?
Order your FREE e-brochure with all the information and options you my have